kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz

Fallen (Fallen, #1)

Fallen (Fallen, #1) - Lauren Kate Hmmm Ok. I've been on an Angel kick for a few weeks now and I'm >< this close to being over it because of books like this and Hush, Hush and Beautiful Beings to name a few, as I'm sure I've only scratched the surface...but this book is in it's own subcategory of nonsensical but I persevered because I hate when I read a review only to discover they didn't complete it and giving a half-ass review making assumptions about the ending. However, I'm sure any assumptions made on this particular book would have been better then the reality of it.

First, really Grigori? Are we really that moronic? Everyone who knows everyone, knows what a Grigori is amiright?...but what I don't get, is that everyone is playing dumb for 200 pages and when she finally uttered those words "I know what you are" time was supposed to come to a halt and gasp it was wh-what? True? Really?! Pahlease, Stop.It.

Second, Daniel was a certified grade-A DICK for the first half of this book, I understand he was trying to avoid the inevitable, but ok Damn was all that really necessary? AND thee worst part was that Luce wasn't deterred one millisecond! I have never been so disgusted with a female protagonist in all my reading life. He was blatantly malicious towards her every-single-time they encountered each other and yet all she wanted to do was be surrounded by him!? Not to mention the stalking, like seriously shamelessly stalking him...like the creepy girl hiding in your closet peering through the slats in your closet door watching you get dressed for bed or watching you eat and converse with your friends and mimicking your laughter and facial impressions while sitting all the way on the other side of the cafeteria kind of shameless and psychotic stalking. It was really quite unnerving.

Third, I've never been so baffled about how many questions weren't answered, which got me thinking; was this a tactic Lauren Kate used to try to get readers to want to read the next book in the series? Like piquing their curiosity? Cause I'd file that under FAIL! You cant leave so many gaping holes in your story-line and expect people to want to continue reading, especially if the characters aren't engaging and the leading character has you pissed, so pissed that you start thinking about the author and why she was create a character that is so goddamn TRAGIC.

Speaking of the feeble story-line: She kind of, almost, maybe insisted on getting answers about what she thought she knew or felt but when she was told everything, that she thought she knew, she all of a sudden didn't know them anymore (are you reading this asking yourself what fuck is she talking about? Cause yeah, that's basically how the book reads).

Oh and the deaths! Sooo insignificant compared to how Daniel lookes when he wakes up in the morning with big green eye crusties and dried spittle on the side of his face. Dreamy. There is just too much to learn about Daniel, like does he wear boxers or briefs or boxer-briefs and whether he is coo-coo for cocoa puffs or is he more a frosted flakes fan? Furthermore, the need to be in his arms far outweighs the innocent and trivial deaths that she is responsible for.

The writing is insubstantial, this is the first book about Angels that I've read thus far and learned absolutely nothing new and I just cant put my finger on what else it was that bored the shit out of me. Hmmm it'll come to me, I know it will...

Oooo and that cliffhanger...you thought you got me Lauren Kate didn't you? Why yes, even though that little tid bit at the end was, how should I say this? Delectable? I cannot and will not forgive you for the sociopath that is Luce Price. Period.

The positive part of this review?

1.)I didn't feel the urge to chuck my nook because I was too absorbed in trying to figure out what fuck was going on and what the fuck this author's friends were thinking when she gave them this to read. I thought friends weren't supposed to let friend's write shitty books...or was that drink and drive? Eh, same difference *shrugs*

and

2.)I have read so many shitty Angel books thus far, I actually didn't have the energy required to roll my eyes to the back of my head as many times as this book demanded of me. #Winning!