kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz

Pure (Covenant)

Pure  - Jennifer L. Armentrout This book was different from Half-Blood, which is why I loved and hated it a little more. Let's do a "critique sandwich" where we are going to list likes, dislikes and round it off with likes, so no feelings are hurt. Let's begin:

Likes

1/2) I was finally able to bear witness to Alex's badass potential, even if it was only a nano of a second long...can someone please explain to me how Alex was able to rev up awesome in the med office when she was about to get eye raped but she couldn't even turn over the engine in the alley when she and her friends were getting attacked? Please, anyone? Maybe it was just her self-preservation kicking in again.

1) Seth.

Dislikes

1) Alex irritates the holy fuck out of me.

- Alex is selfish. I never knew someone could only think about themselves as much as Alex does. If she isn’t saving her own ass it's to hell with everyone else...then she has the audacity to shed tears. Psh.

- Alex doesn't listen. One of her supposedly "enduring" characteristics was that she never listens (cutesy). It’s really not. One particular time where I wanted to reach through the book and shake her to hell, was when grandma Piperi was trying to relay to her the future and she wouldn't let the woman talk before she started spewing ignorance about how crazy she was. Then what pissed me off even more was the fact that she was cognizant of the prophecy…prior to Piperi's reappearance! And she still refused to believe anything would really happen!!

- Alex + Aidan = Forever. Don't even get me started on the joke that is Alex and Aiden's epic love, as it has already worn out its welcome. I completely and utterly despise wretched and tragic females! She was so goddamn needy! My stomach was turning in knots and my wrist started twitching. I couldn’t stand being in her head, I actually became physically ill at one point, so much so that I had to munch on saltines and drink ginger ale just to subdue the nausea. Oh and that eye lock thing from anywhere in the room, just staring at each other until nothing else existed...Stop. Just stop it. I can’t take it. Just stop.

- Aiden = douchebag. Another thing I cannot stand is men mindfucking females.

Dear Aiden, I want to let you know that I don’t care how dreamy your grey eyes are, how well-defined your muscles are or how deliciously tall you are...I seriously want to sock you in the face, you bastard.

I understand what Aiden was doing but the whole “I’ll never forget you in that dress last night, you were breathtaking” one minute and the “I don’t know what you’re talking about, I don’t love you, I can hardly tolerate you” the next was getting old(Eh, I’m paraphrasing, but you get it). I was so over it by chapter 9. You two can’t be together, I get it, but stop mindfucking the poor girl, she’s already self-indulgent and pathetic enough as it is.

- Alex + Seth = Whothefuckknows? I already hate love triangles, hate hate hate them with every fiber of my being. Then to portray Seth as a decent character who I love; he is quick witted, arrogant and is always there for her. And then make him a complete idiot, like he cant see what the hell is really going on? A pawn in her little love game of "How can I make Aiden jealous?" Come on now! Really?! Ugh.

- The story line is predictable. So incredibly predictable. Who needs grandma Piperi when you have the much younger and more fabulous me to prophesize the future of this storyline? And I’ll be straightforward so then maybe Alex will be able to figure shit out in a timely fashion. Let’s see *rubs temples in clockwise motion with eyes closed*

1) Old man with the intelligent eyes at the NY covenant is her dear ol’ pops.

&

2) Mix 1 part half-blood and 1 part Pure blood and you get Apollyon.

Likes

1) The book ended.

2) I learned a new word: Cocksure.

3) Seth.