kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) - Jamie McGuire 4.5 stars

I had initially rated it 5 stars but then remembered that I reserve 5 stars for books that have also earned their rightful place among the favorites (say it in a sing song voice) and even though I really really liked this book, it didn’t quite do it for me.

Although, I did find this one to be a definite page turner! I just couldn’t seem to put it down!

Except for when I got to page 117, my wrist jerked so violently that my nook almost made it out of my hand and connected with wall. I actually wanted to reach through the book and strangle the living shit out of Abby Abernathy. I saw red! I couldn’t think straight! My finger involuntarily inched up the side of the Nook and closed. the. book. AND I didn’t sleep very well that night, oh the anxiety! I was tossing and turning reliving Abby’s unacceptable stupidity and forced naivety over and over again! I was so completely and utterly disgusted with her actions and her justification, I was unsure of whether or not I should continue…

But, I persevered and I’m SO happy that I did!

These two are beyond dysfunctional but it was a believable dysfunction, I don’t condone Abby’s or Travis’ actions but they are young and they are stupid and they will make mistakes and they will learn from those mistakes but they are truly realistic characters (... well to an extent, I can handle Fight Club Maddox but to also throw in Lucky Thirteen? Hmph). I know I’ve seen their relationship in a movie before; the back and forth with the relationship, the thin line between love a hate, the case of the maybe/maybe not’s. And I thought their relationship was more believable than most of the “love” stories I’ve read this year, so was everyone’s actions and reactions in this story.

However, I’ve realized why it couldn’t become a favorite for me. I believe that McGuire is an excellent writer, but Abby went from one extreme to another. The ending actually took me by surprise, I wasn’t expecting that. My face actually scrunched up into the huh? face and my head cocked slightly to one side. I felt it was rushed and after everything they went through, I couldn’t understand the haste…until that last line.

It better not happen.

P.S. I love Mare and Shepley, they are just too dang on cute! And Finch is the bestest friend a girl can have.