kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz

Inescapable (The Premonition, #1)

Inescapable  - Amy A. Bartol This book is Twilight, Unearthly and a dash of Fifty Shades (with the positive reinforcement and forcing her to eat whatsupwiththat?) and I'll admit, I complained throughout the read to myself and to the good people of Goodreads, because I thought Evie was going to be yet ANOTHER one of those female protagonists. I was huffing and puffing, hemin' and hawin' but in reality the story line is actually very entertaining, she had her moments of utter stupidity (this is where the Twilight comparison comes in) but She chose a guy and stuck with him, she wasn't emotionally befuddled throughout the entire read because she. just. couldn't. choose... and it was a nice change of pace.

I think the writing itself is targeted for us feeble-minded folk who just don't know the what's what with the who's who because Amy Bartol breaks everything down to excruciating simplicity and at times its painful. Also, every other sentence either has Evie or Reed in it, I wasn't aware that in regular conversation between two people that you begin every sentence with their first name...even after you have already established a conversation with that person. Painful.

Another reason I am giving this book a four star rating is because of the forced slang peppered throughout the read. PEOPLE DON'T TALK LIKE THAT! I can't stress this enough!It's the main reason it took me so long to get through this book, even with the interesting story line and the good characters...every time I read a misused or misplaced slang word, my finger involuntarily moved up the side of my nook and closed the book because the twitch in my left eye became uncontrollable and I had to recover from it before proceeding, EVERY TIME! You cant throw a slang word in the middle of a perfectly good and grammatically correct sentence! It throws the reader off! Also, I understand that Russell is from North Carolina, I get it, but seriously I feel that his speech was also forced, there were so many damn "y'alls" my head was starting to spin!

Ok, so now you're thinking to yourself "it cant be that bad, you're overreacting!" Well, let me give you a little example of the torment I endured:

THIS IS FULL OF SPOILERS!

I'm just going to throw this out there, I love Russell. Period. Yeah, Reed's swagger grew on me but Russell is off the hook and rates high on my awesomeness scale, I hated how Evie was dissin' him because he's so sweet but at least she was never frontin' when she was around him and let him know how she felt and didn't lead him on with that tired waffling these YA protagonists are popular for. Not to mention she didn't stand a chance at being a playa, seeing as she is totally incapable of deceiving anyone. Other characters that I love are Buns and Brownie and all their shen and was happy to discover that they too were Angels because Evie really needs as many people as she can get on her side. But what doesn't make sense is when she had her first premonition and was speaking in Angelic at the 7-11, why didn't they tell Reed what she said and why wasn't that ever addressed in the book? They were there and they knew what she was saying...hmmm.

Then the twist! I was tweeked when Freddie was actually a bad guy! That was so killa!, I really didnt factor Freddie into the equation at all and he had the audacity to be flossin'! Please, he is just your regula ass reaper Angel, he ain't shit! And I was agitated when they were in the 7-11 and Evie was just going to give up her soul, without even trying to fight...throw a soda, claw an eye out, pee on yourself...DO something, anything! I was thinking sweet, this is so perfect but then Buns and Brownie came in and they set it off when they saw their girl laying on the floor, then I was thinking to myself this is so going to pop! when they actually faced off with Gaspard and were able to hold their ground and jacked him. Then when I saw her take action when Russell was going to die I was thinking my bad maybe you can actually function when it comes down to it...however, what I don't get is why Reed was so tweeked when she took Russell's wounds because I knew she could heal but maybe not fast enough? I don't know.

The ending of this installment was good, even though I hate that her Uncle had to die in such a horrible way. Wasn't necessary Bartol, wasn't necessary. But Reed and Zee are cute getting all excited to buy her all that swag for the holidays because they have accumulated so much bank over the centuries...

TA DA! And that isn't all of the slang that was used in this book...I sure wish it came with a glossary...

But I've decided to read Intuition, solely because I am quite smitten with the characters and want to see where it goes and they NEED to find Freddie and SMITE him! So I'm just going to be chillin' this weekend doing just that.