kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz
Silence - Becca Fitzpatrick I rolled my eyes so many times reading this series, I started looking over my shoulder for Christian Grey. I was just so upset that I actually resorted to yelling at the top of my lungs at the book throughout this painful read. Seriously, I'd be walking down the street reading this and yelling "NO, OH GOD NO!" and "WHY ARE YOU SO GODDAMN STUPID!", I would be so upset that I would have to stop walking to collect myself before continuing. I felt like I was in the Gamefly commercial. I want to slap Nora Grey, just slap some common sense into her and maybe shake her a little bit if the slapping proved to be useless...I imagined myself throwing my Nook, but we all know that that aint gonna happen.

Anyone who compares this to the Twilight series or any other actually GOOD series about other mythical love interests is seriously mistaken, at least Twilight had a captivating story line. This, however, is in a category of its own and no one should willingly subject themselves to the physical and mental torment these books will afflict. I actually read all three books because I lit this internal candle of hope after the first one that maybe, just maybe, they would improve with each installment and I really wanted to give the author a chance, but alas...

Nora Grey is completely incapable of intelligent thought, which is funny because she's supposed to be a book nerd. She really is just so daft, it's unbelievable. It isn't the boyfriend that brings this series down because if you read the series, he isn't abusive, he is actually not too far off of male love interests in other series. It's HER! She doesn't think...AT ALL! And when she does, it's in circles. She continues to ponder the same exact issues and doesn't resolve any of them and even when she does, she doesn't apply the knowledge in the future, she just goes back to her initial inquiry and even better, she NEVER learns from her mistakes! She just continues to make the same mistakes over and over and over again!

Then her memory get wiped clean and we ALL are forced to start ALL OVER AGAIN with the absurdity! Bella Swan, Katniss Everdeen & Elena Gilbert had their moments of stupidity, where you were literally threatening the fictional characters of what you would do if they didn't stop being so foolish but Nora Grey wins hands down for impressively carrying idiocy throughout an entire series.

Nora Grey is not only frustrating but I am still waiting for her to grow a set and man up, her threats are empty because she is so damn weak, she's a doormat, everyone just wipes their feet all over her and she brushes it off and keeps going but then she has the audacity to make threats she is incapable of making good on. To add insult to injury, she doesn't know how to protect herself but she continues to insist that she is independent and can take care of herself and that everyone should just leave her alone, yet someone always has to save her ass!...damn it Nora get mad, just once, just get really pissed off and do something about it! I mean COME ON, everyone has their breaking point.

The plot was forced, the writing lacked in many places and the pacing was off. I want to sit down with the author to understand what her thought process was when she wrote these, what the editors were thinking when they reviewed this crap, this poor excuse for a Young Adult love story, and then what the publishers thought when they decided that it deserved to be published. Overall, I'm just completely dumbfounded that this book has become so popular...and it was a bestseller? What!? And there's another one coming out?! What the What!?

My advice? Don't read it, unless you can easily walk away from a series without a second thought. If you're the type of person that needs closure, like I am, then you'll be in a world of mental and emotional torment. I beg of you, just don't read it!