kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz
Half-Blood  - Jennifer L. Armentrout Hmmm. I read this book because I saw a lot of great reviews of the third installment Deity and even though I'm not one who strives to be in the "cool" crowd, I wanted to be jazzed about another series dammit! I wanted to anticipate the release of Deity too! I wanted to hoot and holler and say "yes, this was a fantastic read and that Jennifer Armentrout mannnn, can she WRITE a book!".

But I couldn't, I took me longer then I would have liked to read this book because Alex is a lot like all of the other female protagonists that get under my skin like a splinter that I just cant get. out. No matter how hard I try she's just embedded in there, annoying the fuck out of me.

She's reckless. That's what bothered me the most. She didn't think anything through, she just went for it. Can someone please explain to me what the fuck is the point of training when every time she gets herself into a pickle, she forgets e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g? WHAT. IS. THE. POINT? She also knew the affect her mother would have on her and yet I couldn't get over her inability to act. Being inside of her head as she kept trying to convince herself that the daimon was her mother while concurrently facing reality was enough to make me grab the nearest sharp object and impale myself.

One positive was the little thing between her and Aiden, it was cute. I didn't grow bored of it as I had expected I would. However, the book itself is incredibly predictable as soon as I learned some new information, I knew it would apply to her. First being that some pure's were turned in daimons, second that she was the second Apollyon and third, knowing that she was going to go after her mother only to get herself in a heap of shit because she is too damn emotional and stupid.

And what was up with the praise she kept getting?! She was consistently praised...and for what? Accidentally killing two daimons, again by accident or was it getting her ass saved by Seth when she was taken because of her rash and moronic decision? What was it that made her such a bad ass? I couldn't see it and I most definitely couldn't agree, as it is against my religion to agree with such tomfoolery.

However the end of the book was much like going through labor...while your gazing upon the fruits of your labor, that little bundle of joy, you forget what the labor was like. You forget about the horrific pain you were in during childbirth, contractions so hard you feel as if your spine was going to explode out of the back of your body, cursing the thought of ever thinking it was a good idea to have children in the first place and voicing your discontent as to why men get to get of so damn easy....but at the end of it all, when your meds have kicked in and the pain is a distant memory, you assure yourself that it wasn't really that bad and succeed in convincing yourself that having another is a perfectly sane idea, because hell, the neighbor has four kids and one on the way, so it most definitely couldn't have been that bad, right?

With that said, Ima go ahead and continue on to Pure...cause my meds, consisting of powdered doughnuts and Slurpee, have kicked in and I just can't seem recall just what was so terrible with that last book...hmph.