kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz

Beautiful Beings (Beautiful Beings #1)

Beautiful Beings (Beautiful Beings #1) - Kailin Gow I...I...I just don't know where to begin. This is hands down the worst book I have ever read. Hands down. No competition. Worse than the Hush, Hush series. I've never in my life been so disgusted with a book, what the hell is Gow thinking? Who the fuck read this GARBAGE and thought "Yes, this is a fine piece of literature, let's publish this literary trash, people will enjoy it."

Again, I'm at a loss as to where my feelings of abhorrence begins. Could it be that the foundation of the character Lux is supposed to be this bad-ass demon fighter? Could it be that in 156 pages, she not once showcased that bad-ass fighting ability? Could it be that this silly little simpleton, in 5 minutes time, can "fall so desperately in love" with not one, not two, but THREE guys? Could it be that she had ZERO reservations about making out with all of them and leading them on, even though they were completely clear with how they felt, because she simply told all of them that she wasn't looking for anything serious? Or could it be that she is so incredibly fucking stupid that, even in the mist of a neck deep battle with demons she refuses to help out TWO of her ever so loved mates because she is just captivated by the evil one? Could. It. BE. that even at the end of it all, she has the audacity to not hate, with every fiber of her being, the guy that just destroyed her life, but instead fall even more madly in love with him!? COULD THAT BE IT?!

No. It's not. Although I give the above considerations their rightful nods. What I hate, with every fiber of my being, are the statements of love scattered throughout this book, as if she actually gives two shits about any of the guys she's dicking around. Please let me enlighten you on a few of them:

"but love, especially the love so strong and passionate as the one I've been feeling was still new to me." (this is directed at Brax).

"Unwilling to lose contact with his lips, I leaned into him, initiating the next kiss." (This is directed at the bad guy, Moore).

"Until that moment I'd not known just how much I wanted him to kiss me." (This little gem is directed at Asher)

I can't.

The ending of this epic cataclysm they call literary entertainment left bile in my throat as I was on the verge of vomiting reading the epilogue. I had tears of repulsion in my eyes and a smirk of pure hatred, as I made my way through this read. I hate Lux. she's is a modern day Jezebel, she is completely and undeniably selfish, she's weak beyond means and she is easily distracted by the scent of every boy. As soon as she isn't standing directly in front of one boy, she's on to the next without hesitation.

I have always completed a trilogy or series, as I used to have this incessant need to complete them with a burning inner light of hope that they will progressively get better...

I am happy to announce that I have been cured.