kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz
Fury - Shirley Marr When I decided to read this, I didn't know this book was written like Drowning Instinct where the protagonist is recounting past events to a third party that eventually catches the reader up to the present. Though, Shirley Marr didn't execute it the same way, this book came up short. When I read the last sentence of the last chapter, I felt nothing. I simply removed it from my shelf and moved on without a second thought.

I like that format, what I didn't care for though or should I say who, is Eliza Boans. Now YA's are chock full of female protagonists that I just cannot stand but this chick is materialistic, selfish, bitchy, psycho and has about as much depth as a puddle. Oh and let me not forget to add, she's a tremendous narcissus? Yeah, everything was about Eliza, even though the actual premise of the story is not, it was still very much about Eliza Boans.

I wouldn't call this a "dark" read, because it was far from, there was nothing dark about it. It was a recount of a week in the life of one incredibly spoiled mean girl, yeah she may have mentioned her two friends and maybe that other one a few times, but I think she only did that because she absolutely had to. I just couldn't get into it and I believe it was solely a result of the lack of empathy I felt for the protagonist and her plight. Not to mention that Eliza made it so easy because she is void of both empathy and sympathy and maybe its a direct result of all those flaws in her personality...hmm the world may never know.

I did, however, keep hoping that she would have some sort of revelation and grow as an individual and to, well, see the error of her ways because of the events that took place leading up to her incarceration, but no it didn't happen. It never happened. For the majority of this read I wanted the detective would just lock her up and throw away the key just to shut her up. What it came down to is Eliza Boans just didn't care about anything and to be perfectly honest, neither did I.

There was a twist at the end that twisted my gut and I might say that it was probably the only reason I kept reading...or it could be that I wont allow myself to put down a book that I've started reading. Hmph *shrugs*.

like the stars say...eh, it was O.K.