kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz

Osiris (The Osiris Project, #1)

Osiris (The Osiris Project, #1) - E.J. Swift First things first, this book was WAY longer then it should have been. I mean come on, it seriously took reading 150 pages before anything really happened. Ok, I get it, Osiris sucks. The rich continue to get rich, while the poor eat heaping bowls full of shit and yes, I get it, Adelaide needs her brother like a crackhead needs a hit. I get it.

Another issue I have with this dystopia is the fact that some common names for things are the same while other are different...why change the name of banana but keep the name of an orange? Why keep the name of Afrika (yes, its a little different, but you get the point) and India but throw in Zeeland and Pantagonia? WTF? WHY?

I've had it with spoiled protagonists and Adelaide fits the mold, she finds herself believing that she so despises what her family name stands for that she changes her own, but funny enough, couldn't commit to those feelings of abhorrence long enough to get a job and support herself. No, instead she agrees to enough stipulations that keeps mommy and daddy's money flowing in. She's selfish and only thinks about herself and then when her twin brother goes missing she makes enough room in her ego for him. Adelaide's brother Axel has a mental illness (I'm leaning towards Schizophrenia) and disappears, so the main focus of her POV is her brother and nothing else...and I mean it NOTHING ELSE.

And then there is Vikram, one of those aforementioned shit eaters living in the indigent West. He has another focus though and he is determined to get his people in aid and sufficient living conditions so that they can survive harsh winters and food shortages, basically the same M.O. for any book where there is a clearly defined line between the rich and the poor.

And as you may have already predicted, the wealth and the poor meet by some twist of fate and he saves the West while she finds her brother and saves the world and they live happily ever after...or NOT.

Adelaide is such a selfish bitch, she wont let anyone in. I honestly think she is as mental as her brother, as she cant seem to focus on anything else but Axel, Axel, Axel...it was all just too much predictability for me and it took too long for me to get to what I already knew. I was nodding off throughout most of it, the storyline just beat around the bush when it could have just been tackled.