kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz

Insanity (Asylum, #1)

Insanity (Asylum, #1) - Lauren Hammond Ooooo I really wanted to like this one. I really did because of the great reviews that I kept seeing. I said “Self, people are talking about a mind fuck here! You just can’t pass up a mind fuck! You need to join the “in” crowd and read this damn book!” So I dropped it onto my Nook home page, along with the second installment, just for just in case…

And I was disappointed. This wasn’t a mind fuck. This was far from a mind fuck. You aren’t supposed to be able to figure out a mind fuck. Mind fuck’s jump out of the shadows and slap you in the face, leaving you with hand on cheek and an open mouthed gape. A mind fuck sneaks up on you and taps on your right shoulder while standing by your left and snickers at your reaction. This wasn’t a mind fuck.

I knew on page 66…well let’s be honest here, I knew a chapter or two before that what was going on but for me it was confirmed by page 66. What bothered me was the writing. I just couldn’t get into it, is there such a thing as being too descriptive? Cause that’s how I felt with this read. There were just SO many descriptions! I actually started glossing over them towards the end there, it was too much. There were descriptions of shit I didn’t even care if it was described! How many times can you describe how Damien makes you feel when he’s near you? How many times can you describe his touch? Cause I assure you, if I didnt get it by the first three times it was described I most certainly got it the fifth and sixth time.

Ok, now violence disturbs me, if its written well. If I am going to read about violence, I want to cringe and look away from the book or read through my fingers like it’s happening right in front of me and I just can’t bear to watch. I want to feel disgust in my gut and have it claw its way up my throat, to the point that I have to close the book, just to collect myself before proceeding. Now don’t misinterpret what I’m saying here, I’m not pro-violence but if you’re going to write violence, *shrug* then do it well. I didn’t feel anything for Addy…or anyone else for that matter. The characters are forgettable, if she didn’t say Damien’s name every 2 point 3/4 minutes, I’m certain I would have forgotten it. If she didn’t describe his eyes and is almond colored skin and how he made her feel, every other sentence, then again, I am absolutely certain I would have forgotten him.

However, I did like that little “gotcha” at the end there. That I wasn’t expecting. Hammond also did a good job with leaving the reader curious; there are a few questions that I wanted answered. Such as, how old is Addy? She believes that she is still 18 I presume. Who is Aurora really? Cause bitch is either so far off the deep end that she has developed sanity or she is sane. What the fuck happened? Bitch came in with mud caked in .her. hair! What did you do Addy?! And other thought provoking questions, but *sigh* unfortunately those alone aren’t enough for me to continue to [b:White Walls|13636313|White Walls (Asylum, #2)|Lauren Hammond|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1339592623s/13636313.jpg|19247937].