kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz

Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)

Hopeless - Colleen Hoover Hmm ok. So it took me a minute to write this review because there were so many people who just absolutely adored this read and I didn’t want to step on any toes, so I slept on it and slept on it some more...then it became two weeks later of sleep but better late than never right? I didn’t absolutely LOVE it. I did like it very much though and I think it was the ending or what happened right before the ending that I just couldn’t get with…

I will say this, I effing love Holder! I would sex him six ways to Sunday…man oh man would I would do to that fictional character…And damnit is Sky funny as hell! I cracked up so many times because of what she thought and/or said! I also loved the cutesy moments Sky and Holder had, I loved the characters, they were well developed and I loved how this read had me hooked the minute I started reading. But I thought it was interesting how the supporting characters slowly exited stage left as the book continued on. I enjoyed the story line, it reminded me a little of Sea of Tranquility with the mysterious characters and pasts and I liked that I didn’t have to use too much energy trying to imagine the plot, so well done! Not to mention that nice little twist in there. But as this story came to a close, I could only understand to some extent Sky’s logic when shit hit the fan. I’m trying my darndest not to give anything away since that is my usual M.O. and with reads like this and a few others I read last year, I think that it only fair to let you ride the coaster to fully grasp the rush :). Fuck it. Here goes…

SPOILER

Back to Sky’s logic, it didn’t sit well with me. I couldn’t understand why she would even consider “justice” for someone who saved her from what could have been a really horrible life; if Karen didn’t come along, she more than likely would have ended up like Holders sister. Why even contemplate sending her to jail? Are you kidding me? And the fact that she claimed she couldn’t trust her anymore because she had the audacity to save her from a lifetime of dysfunction and therapists by not telling her the truth? Come on! THEN considering that “justice” for Holder’s sister because Karen didn’t take her too or because she unintentionally left her there to take Sky’s place? Give me a goddamned break here. Where the hell is the logic in that? What?! At least Holder had the common sense to talk her down off that ledge.

There were just so many times that my ERS flared up towards the end there, like when she decided to run into the house, not once, but twice! I hate females who inflict pain upon themselves and then try to blame someone else! Oh, and then that soft moment where she actually felt bad for her father? What?! Stop it. Maybe I have no sense of empathy but It was a little overkill for me and it just bugged the wholly living shit right on out of me and It was too close to the end for me to forget it by the last sentence…

But again, it was a pretty good read and I enjoyed it for the most part.