kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz
The Compound - S.A. Bodeen My spider senses were tingling from the beginning, that sensation that I knew too well (oh you know, occupational hazard and all) began when Eli's father looked at him, void of emotion, after he learned that his other son didn't make it to the compound in time and says "Well at least I have one of you" While the rest of the family is wiping snot an tears from their faces. WHAT?!

So Eli and his family have concealed themselves in an underground mansion with all of the luxuries of living at home as a result of a nuclear attack on the United States. The only person that knows how to get out of this place is Eli's father, who is a little coo coo kachoo or maybe he's a genius...still haven't decided.

I think the story came together very well. It was one crazy and somewhat predictable ride! The extent of craziness is what got me. But I could only muster up 4 stars. Maybe it was because it was predictable, as the reader, you knew something was amiss, you felt it from the very beginning. Eh, maybe it was because the protagonist was void of emotion for 3/4 of the book and even though I wanted to keep reading to learn what was behind the yellow door (I needed to keep reading), I just couldn't appreciate someone who was just mad for no reason, taking it out on his little sister, like it was her fault. I don't know but I didn't love the story, I just kinda liked it.