kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz
Promised - Caragh M. O'Brien I didn't think it was possible to start a trilogy off strong and end in third place. Gold, Silver and then the Bronze medal. However I can't say that I wouldn't read the next installment, if there was a possibility of one because I have this morbid curiosity to see if Gaia could become more of a dumb-ass. A naive dumb-ass that makes the worse goddamned decisions.

Now I have to admit, Prized wasn't a strong installment but again I was curious, I wanted to find out what happened after she lost her dignity and then regained it at the very end, a strong end to a mediocre read. She became the matrarc and she was going to lead her new people to prosperity and a new life...

This installment really bunched my panties and resurfaced some medical problems I had been facing with prior YA reads, such as ERS (eye rolling syndrome) which started flaring up, at one point it actually got so bad that my body would cease up and my eyes would roll and become stuck in my skull...I just had to wait it out, I didn't have enough cupcakes to help me through it. Then there was my wrist twitch issue that was once dormant, the urge to flick my damn Nook across the room...oh and last but not least my rage. My raaaaaaagggge! that after reading time and time again about how Gaia would go back to the Enclave with this naive and infuriating notion that nothing bad would happen to her if...if people were watching...if she was the matrarc...if she caused a scene...so stupid. She consistently downplayed the ruthlessness of the Proctorant, then had the audacity to be disappointed when she was back in a cell and being tortured, to be upset that this time it didn't work out.

I was just so goddamned pissed that this Gaia was only a shell of the protagonist that she was in the first installment and that it just kept going downhill.

Was I supposed to feel sorry for her at the end? Cause I didn't. I whispered to myself in public and when I was in comfort of my own home, I would shout 'Well that's what happens when you're a fucking idiot, that's what happens when you dont fucking learn to fight fire with fire, you stupid, stupid girl!'