kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz
Looking for Alaska - John Green The reason I read this was because I saw the astounding reviews about not only John Green but this piece of literature in particular, so I told myself that I just HAD to read it.

Once I read it however, I didn't love this book. I liked Pudge, I liked that he was witty, there were some laugh out loud moments and there were more than a few times that I chuckled to myself, but I think I just liked it.

There were a couple of things that kept me from loving this read. The first isn’t really major, I didn’t not love this book because of it, but it did throw me off a bit and that was that that this was a high school! My mind would default to a college campus because of the massive amounts of freedom that was given and that they had dorm rooms and a large campus. Ok, not that teens need to be supervised (all the time), it's just different...does this type of high school really exist?

Secondly and most likely the deciding factor was that I got really hung up on the fact that Pudge just loved Alaska SO much that he just couldn’t bear the thought of life without her in it. I understand the loss of a friend is great as I have lost a few in my life, but it irritated me that he didn’t even know her a year and coupled with the reality that they had only gotten to second base with an intoxicated intangible promise of something more, just unnerved me…he was more distraught than anyone. At one point I couldnt help but feeling like he was more upset that he didn’t get to lose his virginity to her before she died, then the fact that she was actually gone.

Overall, I really enjoyed the characters; they were well developed and were memorable. I laughed, I cried and I can see why some individuals, especially teens, would love it.