kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz
Beautiful Redemption - Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Hmmm. I’m still on the fence about this one. I want to say that I just absolutely loved this, I want to gush about how it was the cat’s cigar and a dream come true. But I can’t. I love Kami Garcia, don’t get me wrong and I loved the other installments to this series.

However, this one felt like it was too easy. Ethan Wate and Lena Duchannes are just too damn cute, I love that they love each other and will literally die for each other and ok yeah, they have been through some serious shit but this one…it was too easy. The battles were predicable and anti-climactic and all around a little disappointing. I expected an epic battle of wits and strength, of determination and perseverance, of love and whatever-the-hell-else; I wanted to jump up in the air and fist pump the sky shouting ‘Yes! You go boy! Now that's how you kick some dark caster ass! Get back home to your girl, you've earned it Champ!’ and I wanted to dance and that was the deepest of wounds. I couldn't victory dance. I had to tuck it away and save it for another book. Boo.

And you all ask ‘Aww now Kandise, why couldn’t you get your groove on?’ and I would pout, tap one pissed off foot on the floor and throw my hands in the air as I shouted ‘Because the nemesis, at every turn, practically rolled over baring their bellies! They didn’t even try! All of those complete and utter bad ass dark casters that earned my hatred for their prior hijinks and just dang on offensive behavior took a knee and bowed their heads, accepting their fate! (ok, well damn near) And THAT is why I couldn’t shake my tail feather!” I just could not understand what the hell was going on; at one point I was sensing a major twist because everything was delivered in such a nice little gift wrapped package…and the bow was not spared, my friend.I really expected Ethan to wake up at the end and discover that he never actually did any of the things that happened and that he was stuck in purgatory.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love a sappy ever ending just as much as the next person but I didn’t really feel it. I did have a couple of heart wrenching moments, thanks to Amma but other than that?

shrug. Eh.