kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz
A Blue So Dark - Holly Schindler Hmmm, didn’t care for it.

This was supposed to be one of those emotional reads, like [b:The Sea of Tranquility|16151178|The Sea of Tranquility|Katja Millay|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1352987353s/16151178.jpg|21547521] or [b:Hopeless|15717943|Hopeless|Colleen Hoover|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1353489892s/15717943.jpg|21389085], it was meant to be heavy like [b:Drowning Instinct|12083233|Drowning Instinct|Ilsa J. Bick|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331339352s/12083233.jpg|17051250]. The protagonist was dealing with some serious shit, but it fell short, so short in fact that I was mostly irritated with Aura than anything else and I was immeasurably unhappy with the final chapter. It was false and unrealistic.

Does Schindler know anyone with this debilitating mental illness? Because you don’t go from catatonic to perfectly normal, you don’t go to a retreat for two weeks or a month and come back from it perfectly healthy, good as new. Even with mediation the person who has developed this unfortunate illness is no longer the person you once knew and I think that’s what bugged me the most…no one bounces back from schizophrenia! There is no cure! Medication only maintains the symptoms not make them disappear, it isn’t some magic trick, you can’t just get some sleep, meds and counseling and voila!

I wanted to feel bad for Aura, I really did but I couldn’t, she is selfish and stupid. Yeah she was going through some shit but to be so egotistical to completely disregard the possibly that other people are struggling too…come on. She only once thought about her best friend and the situation her friend was in, she didn’t even care to ask what was up, she only cared about herself and what she was going through and then she had a nerve to think she was owed an apology? Get the fuck outta here with that! And on top of that, her mother was so deep under water the tips of her fingers couldn’t break the surface, yet she kept thinking about the promise? Are you fucking kidding me? She couldn’t even admit she was drowning right along with her mother, without a life vest and she allowed pride to blind her enough to not ask her own grandmother for help? Stop it. Who gives a fuck about a damned promise and pride, get her some help!

Then her father…that loser and just once I wanted her to go off on him, to tell him what she really thought about his goddamned journals for a birthday present every year and his walking out completely leaving her to be the sole provider for her mother, while he gets to pretend his first family didn’t exist. She earned the right to completely lose it and I wanted her too but it didn't happen.

I couldn’t connect with this story, I couldn’t connect with the protagonist and I certainly didn’t agree with that rainbows and butterflies ending.