kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz
Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey Wait. So, Country bumpkin ass Australian's exist? Really? Mind. Blown.

Who else's mind kept picturing the kids off of 'Stand By Me'? Anyone?...No?...Yes?

This one made it to my favorites for many many reasons. The first paragraph slaps you smack dab in the middle of Shenanigans. Unfortunately, these aren't the shenanigans that have you sighing, shaking your head while flicking your wrist and saying "oh Char and Jas, you little rascals!" It's far more sinister...

One thing that really stood out is how damn funny Craig Silvey is, this author is a comedian. Seriously. Even neck deep in a secret, a brick that continued to weigh down in his stomach, the way Charlie thought had me LOLing out loud, and I was sitting on public transportation while doing so(so you can imagine the glances full with concern I received).

Charlie is a smart kid and he's trustworthy, he had some fleeting thoughts of concern when it came to Jasper but he was able to chew them over and come to a reasonable conclusion. The banter between him and his best friend Jeffrey Lu was memorable, they raised quite a few thought provoking questions, that I've never really imagined myself but once presented, I took a minute to ponder them.

This book is really well written and at times I had to remind myself that these are only kids, they are only thirteen so their inability to act or their habit of being egocentric at times is just a part of growing up. I enjoyed that the characters had depth, they were able to remove themselves from within their own little worlds and be a part of something bigger. Jasper is wise beyond his years and I love him for it.

There was a lot that happened in this book that I dont want to reveal because it will take the fun out of reading it yourself, but this was one of those books that I read and it's now a part of me, I took something from it. I really enjoyed it. I have some favorite quotes that I highlighted throughout the book that were especially memorable so if I ever need a chuckle, I can refer back to them.