kandisek

Literary Beauty

Abbreviations I use in my reviews:

Frankenstein: Prodigal Son
Scott Brick, Kevin J. Anderson, Dean Koontz
Incendiary: The Premonition Series - Amy A. Bartol 2.5 stars

The worst installment yet. If I read one more time how powerful Evie is while she is cowering behind someone or dancing a fine line with death while someone else is saving her ass, I'm going to fucking lose it. Where Evie redeemed herself in other installments by these random moments of bad-assery that would allow me to forgive how naive and stupid she actually is, she didn’t even twitch her pinky in this one. I read 480 pages of dumb-assness that left me with this hate in my bowels! Hate! I tell you! And Rage! Hate and Rage, lodged. in. my. bowels!

Where to begin? There were so many things I hated about Incendiary…soooo many, but let’s start on a positive note; this installment left off where the other one ended, which I appreciated because I don’t like when weeks pass and they have to go back and explain shit. Don’t do that, just pick up where the other left off.

Then everything went to shit…Russell. Russell, Russell, Russell. He was getting on my damn nerves with the “I love Red and I’m never goin’ ta give her up” bullshit, let the bitch go! You’re my favorite character but Evie’s shit isn’t that good, man up and move on! Jeezus!

Then there was Molly, the hoe Evie still wanted to let into their (the “families) home because of that bleeding fucking heart...just shut up. Stop it. Oh! Then the “I’m Evie and I can take care of myself” repeated throughout this installment, enough to make me shoot myself because she was delusional and everyone around her enabled these delusions! There was only one person who saw that she wasn’t self-sufficient and that was her father, he saw how weak she was, how she couldn’t care for herself let alone anyone else. Oh and don’t get me started on the hissy fit she threw! She actually had the audacity to argue with daddy dearest about how much she knows Brennus and she is the only one who knows how to take him down and blah blah blah and the kicker? How she wants to kill him! Pffft, please, cause what does she do only mere hours later? She allows Brennus to bite her! Yes! WHAT?! YES! Russell had to save her! Just as he did EVERY OTHER PAGE! And what completely bunched my panties throughout this read is the fact that she had a severe case of amnesia because once she healed she’s right back on that high horse, it was just incredible how she was able to snap back from broken and pathetic to steadfast hubris. If I wasn’t in so much physical pain, I would have laughed.

Let’s see um, oh yeah, she allowed herself to get bitten – again! Why? Oh because she was too distracted, in the midst of a battle, by Reed’s glorious face, not once, not twice but MULTIPLE times! Where people tend to learn from their mistakes, Evie does not. Even when she is given the responsibility of keeping everyone safe, she gets distracted time and time again resulting in the injury of her “family” members, of which by the way I found the definition of the term “family” in the glossary at the back of this book and wasn’t surprised to discover that it translates to “fuck everyone else, as long as I have Reed” in Bitch.

Every single time she got in front of Brennus she just shut down. She allowed him to fuck with everyone around her. It felt like I stepped into the twilight zone, where this fragile delicate flower is being exalted as a powerful and unyielding force of nature...with no proof back any of it up. I was just mind boggled with the constant talk about how powerful she is…Yes, she can shoot fire from her hands, whoopty-fucking-do. I bet she is going to now spend all of her time thinking about how she will never do it again because she hurt the loves of her life…while everyone is going to die standing beside her trying to encourage her to be who she is “destined” to be. Give me a break.

Now Russell is the force to be reckoned with, let’s make that perfectly clear. He and he alone is the all powerful and unyielding angel, and he is the fucking awesome Seraphim that I absolutely love. Oooo and another thing I love is that he finally has an aspire and he completely lost interest in Evie! Thank you Bartol!!! His angel is fucking hot and she is stronger than Evie…Hmmm maybe you can write the next one in Russell POV cause I am sick, sick and goddamned tired of pathetic Evie and her “care too much” absurdity. Man the fuck up Evie and kill Brennus, stop trying to love everyone! Everyone who surrounds you continues to get hurt because of you. If Russell didn’t exist your “family” wouldn’t exist because you would have gotten them all killed, you selfish bitch.

And Brennus, I still like him if not love him. He has been the same evil undead fairie since the beginning. I’ve read other reviews and it’s interesting how people are up in arms about him being crazy evil…Ummm he’s ALWAYS been evil! He told her he was evil the first time they met and every subsequent meeting after that, it’s Evie who captains her very own ship and tries to save the cheerleader to save the whole goddamned world. I don’t blame him for what he has done, because it’s her who is stringing him along. “You’re the only one who can kill him Evie”...yep, that very well may be a true statement, but is she going to do it? Most likely not and then she’ll have the gall to be mad at whomever kills him…I’ll bet you 10 dollas?

And let's not forget...ANOTHER LOVE SICK MAN FOR EVIE!!! Are you fucking serious?!!! Stop it. Just fucking stop it, I can't handle this shit anymore.

I don’t know if I can bring myself to read this next installment, my eye sockets still hurt from all of the eye-rolling that ensued, this is the 4th book of same shit, different day. She doesn’t get any passes or empathy from me… oh jeezus, then there is the “Evie the leader” situation that has yet to be addressed, I just don’t think I handle another beating as I did with this installment.